Before getting into the treatment and going into various processes about getting rid of dandruff let’s see how many people are affected by dandruff, dandruff affects about 50 % of the total population worldwide according to recent research means 2 in every 1 has dandruff problems. Dandruff is more predominant in men than in women. How to know one has severe dandruff: At times the scalp feels itchy, greasy, and dry scales on the scalp and yellowish/reddish scaly bumps on the hairline in severe cases. What causes dandruff?
- The sebaceous glands secrete which induces dandruff.
- Colonization of fungus on the surface of the skin
- Not enough shampooing of the hair leads to the accumulation of dirt and creates flakes, itching and sometimes people over-shampoo the hair which turns to over drying.
- There is a yeast called Malassezia which exacerbates the scalp and causes the excess skin to grow which in turn leads to dandruff.
- Being in sunlight for too long, bad eating habits, too much stress and excessive pressure from hats on the scalp and using numerous or n number products shown in the advertisement leads to the cause of dermatitis, which causes the skin to be dry, itchy and flaky.
What can be done to cure dandruff?
Dandruff treatment is available in the market. Dandruff is essentially measured as an enduring but curable ailment.
There is always an option of gentle OTC shampoos like Pyrithione zinc shampoos which helps in preventing oil secretion and loosens the flakes and can be easily washed away.
If the gentle shampoos are not helping in anyways then there is always over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoos like tar-based shampoos like (T/Gel, and Neutrogena). This shampoo comes with side effects but has been proven to be effective if the dandruff is severe. The side effect has hair discoloration. Even though the dandruff is quickly gone from the scalp you can’t use these shampoos and go in sunlight because they are sensitive to sunlight.
Shampoos containing salicylic acid will help in eliminating scaling and these shampoos are more prevailing Asian countries due to humid condition as it works well.
Selenium shampoos work like magic when there is a fungal attack on the scalp. As selenium is a fungicide, it must be used as directed and need to be rinsed well after shampoo because even these shampoos might cause discoloration of hair and scalp.
Ketoconazole shampoo or most known as Nizoral is used to slay the dandruff-causing fungi living on the scalps, so it works like magic most of the time.
Fluocinolone shampoos are corticosteroid shampoos which help in controlling itching, irritation and flaking.
Spa treatments available for removing dandruff
Some famous salons offer treatments called scalp renew which generally does the microdermabrasion that sheds off scales and gives a new scalp. These treatments will cost a lot of money and will only work when procedures and the sittings are done religiously without skipping any appointment.
Hair dandruff treatment at home
Dandruff treatments at home have been since ages, there is a traditional way of giving a spa treatment at home like following the below steps
- Start with an oil massage
- Steam scalp and strands
- Washing hair with soap nut
- Applying hair mask
Some of the natural remedies at home for dandruff
- Tea tree oil- Tea tree oil is more prevalent these days than coconut oil for dandruff removal due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activities.
- Coconut oil- Coconut oil has been used for ages for the removal of dandruff.
- Aloe vera- Aloe vera has antibacterial and antifungal properties when used in amalgamation with coconut oil it provides synergistic results in preventing dandruff.
- Apple cider vinegar- Due to its acidic content dandruff has been reduced at the circumstantial level. Because it prevents the growth of fungus on the scalp.
- Omega -3s- Omega 3s are a vital part of our body but getting that from an external source would help a lot to revitalize our body, coming to the effects of omega 3s in dandruff it helps in relieve irritation and dandruff symptoms.
- Probiotics- Probiotics are necessary for the body to function smoothly and it helps the body to fight against the fungus that causes dandruff.
If the home remedies don’t work, there are always OTC medications to go through the only reason behind mentioning the home remedies is they might work for certain people where they can go through these remedies and find a cure instead of putting our system into new products. But if it didn’t get under control then there are always OTC medications and great spa treatments which work wonders for substantially reducing dandruff and keeping it off for good.